- Stroll through the village, explore the little antique shops. Perfect instagram shots.
- Walk along the River Windrush – So pretty and a photographers dream location!
- Have a glass of wine in one of the Pubs
- Visit the Cotswold Motoring Museum
- Lunch – take a picnic or eat in one of the local restaurants
- Visit the Sweet Shop
- The Model Village
- Dragonfly Maze
- Enjoy Afternoon Tea in one of the many Teashops
- Greystones Farm Nature Reserve, for nature lovers
Visit The Cotswolds in Gloucestershire. One of the prettiest areas of the English countryside. Stunning views combined with the prettiest villages and houses made from limestone. There are many villages to visit but one of the most popular is Bourton in the Water.
River Windrush, Bourton on the Water
An enchanting river, river Windrush runs through the village so be sure to take a stroll and enjoy the wildlife and beautiful plants. We saw a Japanese bride and her entourage taking shots! Definitely a photographers dream location.
Visit Cotswold Motoring Museum
It is impossible to miss the Motor Museum, it is right in the middle of the village.
Cotswold Motoring Museum, The Old Mill, Sherborne Street, Bourton in the Water. Open every day and a must visit for motor enthusiasts with a Car, Motorbikes, Toys and caravans collection.
So pretty, it is worth taking a photo even if you are not a Motor enthusiast! Set in the Old Water Mill by a babbling river.
Village of Bourton on the Water
The village of Bourton on the Water is a delight. Coffee shops, Cafes, Tea Rooms, pubs and restaurants await plus some interesting local shops to buy gifts and antiques. We liked the local Sweet Shop for every English Sweet treat imaginable.
If you have children they will enjoy a visit to the Bourton on the Water Model Village. The model village is a one ninth replica of the real village. Famous for its Bonsai type trees. Walk through the model village which was built by the landlord of the Old New Inn and opened in 1937.
Find the model village behind the New Inn, open every day except Christmas Day. No dogs allowed.
Where to Eat in Bourton on the Water
- Rose Tree Restaurant – for Classic British Fish and Chips and regional delights
- Smiths of Bourton – Enjoy Afternoon Tea
- L’Anatra Italian Kitchen – Italian food
- The Mousetrap Inn – Traditional pub to try some British Ale. Home cooked food.
- Duke of Wellington – Dogs welcome, so great to have some Dog Friendly places to eat! Your dog is welcomed with a drink of water and a biscuit.
How to get to The Cotswolds
- Car – Hire a car, or drive if you have a car! The best way to explore all the little villages. Hike the footpaths, enjoy the amazing countryside and more. Enjoy the freedom of the open road.
- Train – Nearest train station is Moreton in Marsh, 8 miles away. Take a bus or taxi from Moreton in Marsh.
- Tour – There are many Tours operated either Day trips from London or longer tours. check out TripAdvisor for more info.
- Walk – If you are staying in the Cotswolds and enjoy walking, there is a network of Public Footpaths linking many of the villages.
- Bus – Take a National Express Coach direct from Heathrow Airport to Cirencester or Cheltenham. A local bus from there to Bourton on the Water.
What to do nearby Bourton on the Water
There are many pretty villages within driving distance of Bourton on the Water and fantastic, panoramic countryside views to enjoy too! Here are some of my favourite places to visit nearby within driving distance:
- Stow on the Wold – Famous for its Biannual Horse fairs
- Moreton in Marsh – Fantastic local shops to explore
- Bourton on the Hill – Panoramic views, lovely walks
- Upper and Lower Slaughter, pretty villages with a lovely stream
We like to stay in one of the gorgeous Country house hotels in The Cotswolds and take a couple of days exploring the area by car, hiking the footpaths and indulging in some delicious meals. Mr Diva likes the local ale, so make sure you try some during your trip. However, if you are short of time, it is very possible to take a Day Trip from London. London is just 1 hour drive away,