How to Banish jet lag forever with these 10 top Prevent Jet lag tips. I fly all over the world and never get jet lag. Well, unless I break my own golden rules of course! We tend to stay away for short periods of time and so cannot afford to waste a second of our time away and don’t want jet lag to spoil the first couple of days. How to Avoid Jet Lag!
Jet lag tips:
- No Alcohol – Water, fruit juice and camomile tea
- Replace lost Salt and Sugar – rebalance your body
- Light healthy meals – Airline food is full of fat usually! Stick to salad and fruit
- Stay Hydrated
- Change the time zone immediately and sleep
- Airplanes are dirty – use hand sanitiser constantly
- Create a clam environment use Lavender, water spray, eye mask. Stay calm and destress
- Move around and exercise your legs. Use DVT socks
I think that the more times you travel the easier it is for your body to adapt. Maybe stress has a lot to do with this fact. Frequent travellers have a routine, stay calm
PHOTO: Banish jetlag forever!
1. Don’t drink alcohol on the day you fly or during the flight. It doesn’t matter if everyone around you is guzzling champers – just stick to orange juice, water and Camomile tea. Boring, but it makes a big difference to the way you feel on arrival. I drink at least 2 litres of water and take my own supplies rather than having to ask for it all the time. I take my own healthy snacks too.
2. Take a Vitamin C tablet with the water to boost your immune system, Berroca is perfect also to take before you land to give an energy boost. I take a multi Vitamin and Magnesium supplement everyday. Use eye drops throughout the flight to stop horrible dry eyes.
3. Apply Lavender essential oil to pulse points to soothe and calm – you will sleep well and relax. I also put it on the pillow to help unwind. Create your own little oasis of calm. Use antibacterial wipes too …you don’t want to catch any nasty bugs!
If there is a Spa available on a stop over, try and take a treatment to relax.
4. Splosh your favourite moisture on your face and spray with an Evian face spray throughout the flight. I probably drive anyone near me completely mad with all my spraying! IT WORKS, I don’t know why more people don’t do it. I use eye drops throughout the flight whenever I am awake.
PHOTO: I’m joking, of course but you get the idea!
5. Wear the airline pyjamas, or take your own lounge wear and be comfortable. I always wear compression socks too.
6. Go to sleep! Don’t waste time watching terrible films. Put on an eye mask and the headphones with some soothing music, press the ‘bed’button and sleep. Wake up in time for breakfast fully refreshed. When you are awake, get up and walk around, exercise those legs! If you have followed my water drinking instructions you will visit the bathroom regularly!
7. Oh, one more thing – Ignore all the gourmet menu offerings! I know, it all looks very tempting but you will thank me when you arrive as fresh as a daisy. Eat a light salad and maybe some fruit. This is possible even in Eonomy. Order the Vegan meal or Low Fat meal if there is one available.
PHOTO: Eat salad and fruit
8. I also adjust my watch to the destination time about 3 hours into the flight, this allows your body clock to slowly adapt to the new time zone. OR if I have a flight stop halfway or change planes I change to my final destination time at that point. BUT change to the halfway timezone as soon as you board the plane.
PHOTO: Don’t drink alcohol! I tiny glass maximum
9. Longhaul – try and book an overnight flight, it is easier to sleep and be well rested. If you have trouble sleeping on a plane take a sleeping pill. This is especially important in economy seats, people will relax and sleep rather than inducing stress wandering about and chatting.
Be careful about striking up a conversation with anyone next to you. They will be there for 18 hours remember!
10. Arrive at your destination and always adapt immediately to the time at your destination. Do not be tempted to sleep before nighttime. If you feel tired, take a walk.
PHOTO: Arrive as fresh as a daisy following my tips
11. Go to the hotel gym and exercise, you will feel great after a run! Energised and your tired muscles will wake up. Make sure you keep hydrated and drink a lot of water.
12. MOST IMPORTANT: Replace the lost salt and sugar in your body and restore balance. I always eat sweet and salty foods when I arrive at my destination and DRINK lots of water.
ENJOY YOUR TRIP:
On your first day at the destination try and have a relatively relaxing day. Chill out, swim, sauna, massage, a run and plonk yourself on a sunbed with a large Gin and Tonic! You deserve it for following all my tips!
_ It doesn’t matter if you are travelling First, Business or Tourist, the same rules apply. It is more difficult in tourist but still follow all the tips and take a pillow with you.
Voila! You will look as fresh as the mountain dew when you arrive and feel great. Banish jet lag forever with my 10 top tips!
My favourite airlines for comfort are: http://www.qatarairways.com