Athens is one of the oldest cities in the world, with a rich history and culture. It’s also one of the most popular tourist destinations in Europe.
But it can be expensive to visit if you’re not careful. Fortunately, there are plenty of ways to save money when visiting Athens and still have a great time.
1. Take advantage of public transportation: Athens has an excellent public transportation system, which includes buses, trams, and metro trains.
Taking public transportation is often much cheaper than taking a taxi or renting a car. Plus, it’s more convenient and gives you an opportunity to explore different parts of the city.
2. Stay in hostels or budget hotels: There are many budget-friendly accommodations in Athens such as hostels, bed & breakfasts, and budget hotels. Staying in these types of accommodations can significantly reduce your accommodation costs.
3. Eat street food: Street food is a great option for those on a budget as it’s usually very affordable and delicious. Greek food is especially famous for its flavors and fresh ingredients so make sure to try some traditional dishes such as souvlaki or gyros.
4. Visit free attractions: Athens has many free attractions such as museums and parks that are worth visiting. The Acropolis is one of the most famous landmarks in the city but there are also other interesting places such as Plaka or Monastiraki that can be explored without spending any money.
5. Go on walking tours: Walking tours are a great way to explore Athens while saving money as they are often free or very cheap compared to guided tours by bus or car. Walking tours also offer an intimate look into life in Athens that you won’t get from a tour bus.
Traveling around Athens on a budget isn’t impossible – all it takes is some planning ahead! By taking advantage of public transportation, staying in budget accommodations, eating street food, visiting free attractions, and going on walking tours, you can enjoy all that this incredible city has to offer without breaking the bank!