To be a godmother of a cruise ship is an honour that has been bestowed upon many different celebrities, and it is an incredibly special experience. It means being asked to christen a new vessel and give it its official name.
The event is often attended by hundreds of spectators, and the godmother is typically asked to make a speech or perform some other ceremonial duty.
The tradition of naming ships dates back centuries, when the vessels were seen as blessed and the naming ceremony was meant to bring good luck. In modern times, having a celebrity godmother helps to highlight the event and attract more attention to the cruise line and its newest vessel.
The role of the godmother extends beyond just being present at the christening ceremony. They may be asked to tour the ship before it sets sail, meet with crew members and passengers, or even host special events on board. The godmother is also expected to make appearances at promotional events for the cruise line throughout their tenure.
Selected celebrities who have had this honour include:
- Singer Celine Dion was named godmother of Royal Caribbean’s Oasis of the Seas in 2009.
- Actress Whoopi Goldberg served as godmother for Celebrity Cruises’ Celebrity Millennium in 2000.
- Actress Katie Holmes was chosen as godmother for Royal Caribbean’s Allure of the Seas in 2010.
- Actress Kristin Chenoweth served as godmother for Carnival Cruise Line’s Carnival Vista in 2016.
- Actress Scarlett Johansson was named godmother for MSC Cruises’ MSC Divina in 2012.
Being a cruise ship Godmother is an incredible honour that reflects both on the person chosen, as well as on the cruise line itself. It carries with it a great deal of public exposure and can be an unforgettable experience for all involved.
“What does it mean to be a Godmother of a Cruise Ship? “
To be a Godmother of a Cruise Ship means being chosen by a cruise line to christen their new vessel and give it its official name.
It also includes meeting with crew members and passengers, touring the ship before its maiden voyage, attending promotional events for the cruise line throughout their tenure, and making speeches during special ceremonies related to their role as Godmother. Being chosen as Godmother is an incredible honour that reflects on both them and their associated cruise line.