10 Best things to do in Cannes. What to do for 2 days in Cannes:
- Stroll along La Croisette. This is a Palm tree lined boulevard stretching all along the seafront.
- Visit Iles de Lerins. Take a boat from the Port to these beautiful islands.
- Explore the Old Town.
- Visit the market Marche Forville.
- Lunch on the beach
- Cocktails on The Terrace of Intercontinental Carlton Hotel.
- Shop in Rue d’Antibes.
- Dinner in Le Suquet
- Climb up to Place de la Castle for views over Cannes.
- Charter a boat for an afternoon
2 Days in Cannes – French Riviera. What to do in Cannes? Cannes is a luxurious destination set beside the sea. It is a place where there is not a lot to do, but relax and enjoy the spectacular beaches, luxurious shops and great restaurants. Visit the islands, charter a boat for an hour or a day and just relax, unwind and enjoy the beautiful Mediterranean lifestyle.
Events in Cannes this summer:
- 10 – 15 September Yachting Festival Cannes
- Cannes Yacht Festival 10 to 15 September 2019
- July and August – Night Markets – Cannes La Bocca every Wednesday night
- Open Air Cinema – Free
PHOTO: Majestic Barriere Hotel Cannes
Where to stay in Cannes? There are 3 notable Luxury Hotels to stay in Cannes and all three are set on the Croisette.
- Martinez Hotel – My Favourite especially at Cannes Film Festival time
- Intercontinental Carlton Hotel – Stayed here for years, but disappointed on my last stay, needs a big make over!
- Majestic Barriere Hotel – There are some great deals here out of season
HOW TO GET AROUND IN CANNES:
- Hire a car – always the best idea! Unless you plan to stay in Cannes only and not explore nearby. Parking can be a headache if you are staying for more than a couple of days.
- Train – Centrally located train station. Trains run all along the Riviera every 30 minutes, buy tickets in a ticket machine at the station.
- Bus – Great bus service, again runs all along the Riviera and you can hop on and off.
- Bicycle – As in all the French Riviera towns just hire one of the bikes situated in many street locations, pay for an hour or a day!
PHOTO: Cannes Beach with La Croisette behind. What to do in Cannes.
What to do in Cannes? Stroll Along La Croisette
All three of the hotels I mentioned above are on La Croisette, Cannes. It is a pretty tree lined Boulevard with the Beach and promenade on one side and shops, hotels and designer shops on the other. This is the most luxurious part of Cannes.
Look out for all the top jewellers on La Croisette along with all the designer stores such as Louis Vuitton, Chanel and so on. Browse the Estate agents windows to find your own luxury page here. Rue d’Antibes runs parallel to La Croissette, a couple of blocks inland. Here you will find slightly cheaper shops with the usual Sephora and Zara alongside some interesting small boutiques. The best chocolate shops too!
Where to go in Cannes? Visit Iles de Lerins:
A favourite of mine! Take a 10 minute ferry ride out to the islands. Explore Ile St Honorat where Monks have lived for hundreds of years. Such a beautiful tranquil place to visit with a lovely restaurant for lunch. Read more on my blog post here:
PHOTO: Intercontinental Cannes Hotel, La croisette, Cannes
What to do in Cannes? Lunch on the beach:
Choose one of the many beach side restaurants to have lunch! All have very similar menus so just take your pick. We like to have lunch at Intercontinental Carlton Hotel, pictured above. Either on the outside terrace or on the beach.
This trip we tried Gray d’Albion beach club. Super setting and very cool place to relax, but the food was a bit disappointing. Maybe we were unlucky, try it for yourself! Across the road you will find Grey d’Albion shopping Mall, which has some of my favourite dress shops! I love the discount designer shop, see if you can find it.
Martinez beach is also a favourite. I think this is now my favourite hotel in Cannes. It has been renovated and is a great choice to stay! We usually stay at Intercontinental Carlton Hotel but this really does need a major make over. Such a shame to see a great iconic hotel declining a little bit. Still great for lunch or dinner or drinks on the Terrace though!
PHOTO: Intercontinental Carlton Hotel on La Croisette, Cannes
If you want to spend an afternoon on the beach, I would be tempted to say take a towel with you and head to a public beach. 56 euros for a sunbed for the day (especially as they are cheap plastic!) is a bit steep. But, of course, the choice is yours!
There are some cheaper beach club options and there are so many to choose!
PHOTO: View of the Port, Cannes
What to do in Cannes? Dinner in the Old Town
Small little restaurants abound in the old town. Beautifully decorated tables will enchant and delicious meals wait to be sampled!
PHOTO: Vieux Ville in Cannes
This is also the place to find some cute souvenir shops and delicious cake shops too. If you keep going to the top you arrive at the Fortress constructed by the ones of Lerins. Also at the top is Notre Dame d’Esperance. I love all the little restaurants in the streets of the Old town. So difficult to choose but we ate dinner at his one below:
PHOTO: Restaurants in the Old Town of Cannes
I often check online reviews or use my Michelin Guides for recommendations. This time we just took potluck and enjoyed the evening!
Cannes Film Festival:
PHOTO: Palais des Festivals, Cannes. People queue to take selfies.
You will find Palais des Festivals at the end of La Croisette just before the Port.
May is the perfect month to visit if you area movie fan. Of course, this is the month when all the move world arrives in Cannes! If you want more information on where to get tickets, VIP passes and lots of practical info read here: