Where Did the Italian Cruise Ship Sink?

By Anna Duncan

On January 13, 2012, the cruise ship Costa Concordia ran aground off the coast of Giglio, Italy. The Italian-flagged vessel was carrying over 4,000 passengers and crew when it struck a submerged rock near the tiny island of Giglio, situated off Tuscany’s west coast.

The incident occurred on a Friday evening, as the Costa Concordia was making its way from the port of Civitavecchia to its final destination in Savona, Italy. As the ship attempted to navigate a stretch of sea near Giglio Island that is known for its many shallow reefs and rocks, it struck one of these rocks and began to take on water. A large gash was opened up in the side of the vessel and it quickly began to list dangerously to one side.

The captain of the ship attempted to bring it back under control by ordering an emergency evacuation. Over 4,000 people were quickly ushered into lifeboats and taken to safety. Unfortunately, at least 32 people lost their lives in the incident and several more were injured.

In order to prevent further damage to both human life and property, authorities ordered a massive rescue effort that included divers searching for survivors, helicopters airlifting passengers off the ship’s deck and naval vessels providing assistance. The Costa Concordia eventually sunk completely beneath the waves on January 17th.

Where Did The Italian Cruise Ship Sink?

The Italian cruise ship Costa Concordia sank on January 17th 2012 off the coast of Giglio Island in Tuscany, Italy after running aground on a submerged rock near the island on January 13th 2012.

The incident resulted in 32 casualties and several more injured passengers but was thankfully followed by a massive rescue effort which ensured that all remaining passengers were safely evacuated from the sinking vessel.


The Italian cruise ship Costa Concordia tragically sank near Giglio Island in Tuscany after striking a submerged rock on January 13th 2012. Although 32 people lost their lives during this terrible disaster due to swift action by authorities all remaining passengers were successfully rescued from danger.